Welcome to MeCCSA, the subject association that represents all who teach or research in Higher Education in media, communications and cultural studies, whether in arts, humanities or social sciences departments.
Today’s announcement of the assessment of UK university research quality (the Research Excellence Framework) confirms the outstanding work in media, communication, and cultural studies. The results reflect not only excellence in the standards of research but also success in engaging with those who can use and benefit from research in these fields. They also demonstrate the range, versatility, and diversity of research in media, communication, and cultural studies in UK universities.
Einar Thorsen, chair of the subject association for the field, the Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association, said that “these detailed and robust assessments show the enormous hard work and tremendously high quality of the research undertaken in media, communication and cultural studies departments right across the university sector. Despite the great difficulties and pressures of the last few years, the huge contribution made by our field to new knowledge and understanding in these absolutely central areas of social life is proven by these results”.
The field was mainly evaluated by one of the 34 ‘panels’ established for this purpose. Among the highlights of the results from this panel (available in full on the REF website) are the following:
- Three quarters of all outputs (including books, articles, and practice-based research in a variety of formats) were assessed as ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’, and a third of the total were regarded as in the highest category, underlining the leading nature of UK research in this field across the globe
- Nearly half (48%) of work submitted was regarded as having ‘world-leading’ impact in terms of its value and application in social, cultural, policy, and economic fields.
- Over 1,600 students were awarded doctorates in the field in the period assessed (2013-2020), testimony to a vibrant field with a high quality development of younger researchers
- 80 per cent of the submissions demonstrated a research environment that was either world leading or internationally excellent.
- Nearly 1,400 staff were submitted to the assessment from nearly 60 institutions
Many researchers within the fields represented by MeCCSA will have had their research evaluated by another panel, for example that assessing work in, among other things, film and screen studies. In this panel too, three-quarters (75 per cent) of research was assessed as internationally excellent or world-leading, and over four-fifths of submissions (81.3 per cent) were assessed as having research whose impact externally was in one of these top two categories.
Contact for enquires: Einar Thorsen, Chair of MeCCSA
We are delighted to announce a new series of annual awards to recognise outstanding research in the fields of media, communication, and cultural studies.
MeCCSA will be presenting annual awards in the following categories:
- MeCCSA Journal Article of the Year
- MeCCSA Monograph of the Year
- MeCCSA Edited Collection of the Year
- MeCCSA Practice Based Research of the Year
- MeCCSA Doctoral Research of the Year
We are now inviting nominations for outputs published / released in public domain or doctoral research completed in 2021.
Nominations will be reviewed by a panel appointed by the MeCCSA Executive Committee who will decide the shortlists, and make one award per year for each category. All MeCCSA Awards will be announced at the Annual Conference held in September.
Full details about the annual MeCCSA Outstanding Achievement Awards, including nomination guidelines and eligibility criteria are available on the Awards section on our website.
Deadline and nominations
- Nominations must be submitted via the online submission form:
https://bit.ly/MeCCSA_Awards_Nomination_2022 (alternative link: https://forms.office.com/r/t2LjVjkmZQ)
- Deadline for all nominations is midday Thursday 28th April 2022.
- The shortlist for each category will be announced by end of July 2022.
- Successful Awards will be announced on 8th September 2022, at the Annual MeCCSA Conference Awards Ceremony.
Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, UK
Conference Theme – Silenced Voices
7-9 September 2022
Submission deadline: 14 January 2022
The Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association is pleased to invite the submission of abstracts, panel proposals and practice-based contributions for the MeCCSA 2022 Conference, to be held 7-9 September 2022 at Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen. As per previous announcements, the postponement of MeCCSA 2021 due to the pandemic gave us an opportunity to rethink our annual conference scheduling. It was decided to move the timing of the conferences from January to September, starting with MeCCSA 2022. There will be another online Annual General Meeting in January 2022, to ensure we comply with the Association’s constitutional requirements.
The theme of the MeCCSA 2022 conference is Silenced Voices. Read the full Call for Papers.
Professor Greg Philo, University of Glasgow
Dr Anandi Ramamurthy, Sheffield Hallam University
Professor Karen Ross, Newcastle University
Dr Miklos Sukosd, University of Copenhagen
MeCCSA has produced a film to answer some of the frequently asked questions about studying subjects in our field at university. Feel free to share and use to promote your own courses as you wish. See also our FAQ section.
MeCCSA on JISCmail
MeCCSA and its Networks operate discussion and information lists through the JISCmail system. Click the following links for information or to join:
- MeCCSA Climate Change Network
- MeCCSA Disability Studies Network
- MeCCSA Local and Community Media Network List
- MeCCSA Policy Network
- MeCCSA Postgraduate Network
- MeCCSA Race, Ethnicity and Postcolonial Network List
- MeCCSA Social Movements Network List
- MeCCSA Women’s Network
The MeCCSA Radio Studies Network encourages interested colleagues to subscribe to the Radio Studies list, a forum for teachers, researchers and broadcasters active since 1998.
To post a message on the list if you are not a subscriber (subject to approval), please get in touch with Elizabeth Poole.
For technical support, please email email@example.com.
For any queries regarding MeCCSA membership, please email the membership secretary, Gillian Mason.
© MeCCSA 2002-2020