MeCCSA is currently inviting expressions of interest for the role of Editor of Three-D.
If you are interested in this role, please send a statement outlining what you would bring to the role and a two-page CV to Einar Thorsen, Chair of MeCCSA (email@example.com). EOIs will be reviewed by the Executive Committee and shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview.
The appointment will initially be for a two-year term, covering four issues. Note that the Editor of Three-D will be invited to attend Executive Committee meetings in an observer capacity.
Deadline for EOI applications is midday on Friday 29th July.
You can view back-issues of Three-D on our website: https://www.meccsa.org.uk/nl/
This announcement is also available as a PDF.
Three-D was first launched in 2003 as ‘news and comment’ from the Media, Communication, and Cultural Studies Association. Since then we have published 35 issues of the newsletter. Thematically the newsletter contains news, commentary, and original research, for and by members on issues of concern to MeCCSA. It also serves as a communication vehicle to the membership about MeCCSA events and network activities, our annual conferences, and activities of the Executive Committee (such as responses / submissions to public consultations, open letters and so forth).
We typically publish two issues per year, one in spring / summer and one in autumn / winter. These have been timed to coincide with our Annual Conferences, major policy announcements, and topical events.
Previous editors / coordinators:
- David Hesmondhalgh 2003-2006
- Jane Arthurs 2007-2008
- Einar Thorsen 2009-2021
At various points the editor / coordinator has been supported by members of the Executive Committee, typically focussed on members of the Administration and Communications Sub Committee, in terms of soliciting and coordinating contributions. Contributions do not necessarily reflect the views of the Association, or its Executive Committee. As such the content is not directly overseen or approved by the Executive Committee, and it is the responsibility of the Editor to ensure that quality and content of contributions are appropriate for the purpose of the newsletter.
Design and production work has been carried out as paid work by a third-party designer. The newsletter has gone through various iterative design updates through the years, though typically the production work involves placing content (text and visuals) in an InDesign template and transposing this to our website.
The Editor will receive an honoraria per issue published, to be confirmed in agreement with Executive Committee.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Editor of Three-D
- Coordinate and edit Three-D newsletter twice per year.
- Attend MeCCSA Executive Committee meetings as an observer.
- Attend MeCCSA Annual General Meeting and contribute to sub-committee report.
- Work with MeCCSA Executive Committee to understand current issues of the field.
- Work with Conference liaison and Network liaison to be across all MeCCSA activities.
- Work with production person or company to produce PDF and liaise with website editor to upload individual articles (effectively HTML version of newsletter).
- Liaise with printer if / when appropriate to have magazine print run (eg to coincide with Annual Conference).
- MeCCSA membership.
- Edit two issues of the Three-D newsletter per year, typically one in spring / summer and one in autumn / winter. Oversee and ensure timely commissioning, submission, and completion of articles.
- Be actively engaged in MeCCSA activities and aware of relevant policy debates pertaining to higher education and media industry.
- Identify and formulate themes on contemporary issues of relevance to MeCCSA membership that provide focal points for each issue of Three-D.
- Actively solicit and commission contributions for the newsletter aligned with these themes, including contacting MeCCSA members, other academics with relevant expertise, and when relevant industry representatives when appropriate.
- Coordinate an open call for contributions, posted on Jiscmail list.
- Ensure balance and diversity of contributors for every issue in terms of gender, ethnicity, grade, and MeCCSA member institutions.
- Edit all content to ensure consistency, appropriate tone, and professional style. The Editor is not expected to re-write articles, though may request revisions from authors before final proofing.
- Decide on thematic grouping and running order of all contributions.
- Source appropriate illustrations to accompany articles, where none have been supplied by the author, including author photos. It is essential that these meet fair use conventions and do not breach copyright.
- Work with production person or company to produce the design and layout for each issue. Given the template design this often includes adjustments to content in order to ensure appropriate flow, identifying pull quotes, and supporting illustrations.
- Liaise with anyone wishing to advertise in the newsletter (based on rates agreed by the Executive Committee and published on website).
- Author an Editorial for each issue of the newsletter.